BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

20080723

The haunting of the River House? Part 3

There was no scientific proof that it was indeed, haunted, only eye witness accounts from myself and siblings. Do we have a over active imagination? Perhaps, but I know what I saw, heard, and felt.

Ever since we moved into the house, we heard noises that we couldn't explain. The old wooden floors made so much noise to walk on, the stairs creaked, and the stair railing was loose and made noises too. My siblings and I were constantly fighting, I guess because we were sick of each other. My dad would be gone most of the time, and we had nothing to do. At night, we kept our doors open. We would only sleep upstairs knowing if others were up there too. At first it sounded like someone walking around downstairs, thinking it was my mom, I dismissed it. Then there were a couple of times where we heard footsteps going up the stairs. We either, screamed for our mom or was too scared to move. I usually laid real still, under the covers and kept my eyes closed, because I was afraid of seeing something.

One night, I heard crunching sounds in the hall closet. For a couple of days it went on, only when it was night. It was really messy in there and I assumed it was a rat. I haven't seen any rats up to this point, but the holes they made were huge! So, finally one morning, I couldn't stand it any longer. I went into the closet and moved things around and I found the scariest looking giant black beetle, with huge pincher's in there! It was as big as the beetles I have seen in the zoo! I freaked out of course, it really was that big! We killed it with bug spray and a broom. Problem solved! But then the noises were downstairs, and my mom heard them too. It was in the kitchen, and in the cabinets. We never seen them, but the rats had been having a feast on our cereals and on our bag of popcorn.
I finally got to see how big they really were when I went down into the basement. My parents didn't allow us to go down there and I didn't know why. One day I did, and I looked around. It had old cobwebbed, covered stairs and a dirt floor. The smell was musty. The basement was a single room with with one light. On the left of it, was a passage way leading to the storm doors outside. I could see a little bit of light coming from it, but it was still really dark. The walls were a dark grey brick and there was a large hole in it by the area underneath the stairs. I was too afraid to look in the hole. When I walked towards the storm door, I saw a huge dead rat laying in my path! It was at least the size of an eight week old kitten! I showed my dad, he couldn't believe how big they were either.
A night after our first Christmas there...My dad was gone again. All the lights were on, and my sister and I were making a can chicken noodle soup in the kitchen. The kitchen was located just to the right of the dining room, where we suddenly heard my sister's ten speed bike, still in the box fall to the ground. It was loud enough, that my mom could hear it in the living room, while she was watching TV. My sister and I went over to the large box and looked at it. I noticed that it was standing against the basement door, and it was slightly open! So I shut it and put the box back. We walked back into the kitchen and it fell again! I turned around, the basement door was open! So then we shut it, and ran over to my mom to tell her. She didn't even get up, she thought it was nonsense. So we took a large green stool out of the living room, scooted it towards the door, which was open again, moved the bike box to lean against the table, and firmly put the the stool against the door. So I stirred our boiling hot soup and began to pour it into bowls and then I heard the sound of the stool scraping on the floor! It was a tiny bit, but the basement door was open again! We left it open, and my mom finally came to see it. She closed it and when she left, I opened it back up just a crack, because I couldn't stand to hear the stool moving again. My sister saw me do this and accused me of doing it all in the first place. I told her, " of course I didn't dummy! You were with me!"
I can't remember if anything else happened, just the occasional flapping sounds coming from the small attic door upstairs. My parents heard them too. They would open it up and see nothing in there. It could have been bats, I suppose. I just kept going to bed afraid when I heard something and I would hum church songs, over and over, until I fell asleep.

3 comments:

dubby said...

Scary

I like your Pet Peeves. I agree on the ones where someone treats you like the slave -- leave the dishes in the sink, or the toilet unflushed, or whatever. Mom will get it. Grrr,.

Nicole said...

You really should write a book. I like Lori's idea. What an interesting life you have had so far.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Nice illustrations, too.