BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

20081120

Let it Snow, Let it Snow





My first thought of every morning is, has it snowed enough, so that Seminary and school will be canceled? I often wish it would snow, though it has happened many times of the past, a dusting gets everyone excited here. If it snowed a inch or two, you would think that they would declare a state of emergency! I often remember what a real snowfall was like, it has been so long time. Sometimes I tell the kids how it was when I was a kid. The snow had to be removed on your roof top with a shovel, and when we did that, we would a make pile we can jump in. The snow would completely make our parent's car disappear, and if they were on the curb side, the plows would make it unbearable to dig out. I even remember having the snow up to our windows, and my dad would make a tunnel like path to our door, how cool is that? I love the snow because it makes everything clean, white, and quiet. (Until it starts melting, then ugh!)

When I lived in Alaska, we never had snow days! The cars would all have studded tires with chains on them. In Fairbanks, we sled to school, I think I already wrote about that. We still had recess when we had school too. The plows would create a mountain for us to tunnel in by the end of the parking lot. As kids, we would spend all of our free time perfecting a cave or tunnel. And if it got boring, we played a real rough and mean game of King of the Hill.

No one could tell if I was male or female. I wore a hat with a face mask underneath. I would wear a coat under my one piece snow suit, that my dad put reflecting tape on. It had to have that tape because it was always dark in the winter, and I loved to play outside. I always wore Long Johns under my clothes, and two pairs of socks. I remember it being so cold that my eyelashes would stick together if I didn't wear goggles. I wore a pair of mittens inside of my gloves too. That was real snow, and occasionally, since I have moved, I got to experience some good storms in Wyoming and in Salt Lake. Here, the ice storm are pretty scary, but I have yet to experience anything worth mentioning. It is sad when the snow disappears the next day, or even on the same day. It does scare me to drive around people who don't know how to drive in the snow though. And one thing that drives me mad, is the fact the forecasters can not get anything right! Last year it seemed like they cried "Snow", a few times, and everybody would run to the store in a panic. I laugh! But I am guilty of going along with their madness, I didn't want to be the only one with out a extra milk! The stores must love it!

1 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I can see why Eskimo's have 17 words for snow.