BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

20080812

There is nothing amusing about the ride, the Gravitron!





Yesterday, our family attended the fair. I had a good time, but because our kids are spoiled when it comes to rides, they were not really thrilled. Most of the rides were old, and showed some real wear and tear. (scary) They were appreciative though, in spite of the moans about watching the motorcross, circus, elephant show, and bird show. In the end, they liked it. This is the first time we have attended a fair in years. I really enjoy seeing the farms animals, even the cows! It makes me miss the farm, and when my grandparent's used to show off their cows.
The circus wasn't really a circus, it was just a high wire act. The kids complained the whole time we waited to watch this event. But they ended up loving it , because the wind knocked the guy off the wire. He's had cat like reflexes, and he was able to save himself by grabbing the wire with one hand! Wow! That made it interesting for sure!

Jason chose not to ride any rides, mainly because they are mostly spinning ones. I think the scariest ride is the ferris wheel but it doesn't stop me from trying it. The only ride I didn't go on , that was working, was the Spin Master! I used to go on those rides in a heart beat, but I felt sick from going on the stand up ride three times in a role! But now that I am bigger, it is not a matter of being afraid of going upside down, it's the fact that I have a large chest and I just don't fit! It stinks! I need to get rid of these things! I always told myself that because my Nana could ride with me on the Looper from the Lagoon, that I would never stop riding rides when I get old. Yes, I do have a great memory of my Nana, who I can remember looking at her upside down, laughing at me, with her long pearl earrings on! I was only in second grade. Viv is a lot like me, she went on everything, even the Spin Master!









There was a ride there called the Gravitron, it used to be one of my favorite! It looks like a space ship and it spins, sucking your body to the wall. Back in April 1992, when I was 17, I got a awesome job at 49th Street Gallery. It's a indoor amusement place with games, a skating rink, a bowling alley, mini golf, and a few rides. I loved that place! I was hired as a ride operator, and I worked there after school. Well one day, when I worked, I was operating the Gravitron, and something happened... It wasn't my first time, I preferred to work in there, though the music was loud and I had to clean up any barf that occurred. I usually stopped before it happened, and let people off if they were going to be sick . So on this particular slow day, I had one dad come in with two little kids and a teenager. The tape in the player stopped when I was spinning at full speed. I controlled the speed, the brakes, the door, and the music. It was simple, all I had to do was turn over the tape that was in the player above me on a shelf. Then suddenly...I flew out! I splatted like a bug on a windshield! Do you think I landed on a padded part, nope, it was the door! And the door was all metal!

I remember being embarrassed more than anything, the guy asked me if I was okay, but nobody could move until the ride slowed down! Luckily, it was a gas petal that controlled the speed and not a switch! I felt nothing, just shaky. The guy helped me to the center when it slowed down, and I got back into the seat and slowed it to a stop. But it was hard, because my focus was not all there, in order to open the door, I had to rely on the crack on the bottom of the door, to see where the stairs were, and I had to get it just right! I did it, and I refused people on, so I got on my walkie and called my manager, who was a 18 year girl.

She came and I told her what happened. She asked me if I wanted a break or something, and when I stood up I couldn't quite walk. She helped me to the office, where I sat in a big chair. Well, she called my mom, and my mom freaked out! She told her to call a ambulance but the girl wasn't sure. So she did, and they came, and it was really embarrassing!! When they checked me over, I had a knot on my head, my arm hurt, my leg hurt, let's just say my whole body started to hurt! They cut off my favorite jeans and when they saw that I had a hickey (on my neck), they thought it was a bruise, but I had to tell them and I told them not to tell my mom! In the end, I ended up with a concussion, a sprained arm, fractured ribs, damage to my hips and back, and a broken knee cap! So that is why I don't think the Gravitron is amusing in any way, actually to me, it's a crack up!























































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































3 comments:

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Cool. See, now, if you'd grown up in California, your parents could've sued somebody (like, maybe, the state, or a wealthy moviestar, or maybe a school district or the Boy Scouts, or an insurance company or something) and you'd be rich today! Aren't lawyers wonderful? ;-)

Kristie said...

Wow, that is scary that you got so injured operating that ride. Sounds like you guys had a good time. The fair is in town right now (I think), we haven't been yet. I don't know if we will go. We just spent a bunch of money on Emma's school uniforms and supplies for her classroom. Crazy. I was reading one of your older posts, and I have a question for you. Why are the schools in Alaska so cool? Just curious. I have never been there. Maybe some day. Emma and Jade will be going to Stars dance this year. They are excited. Classes don't start until next month though. That is cool that your girls are doing cheer leading. FUN.

Kristie said...

Oh by the way... here is my response to your question from my blog:
I am glad that you enjoy my posts. I have been really enjoying posting lately. I enjoy reading yours as well. I am feeling well. Kevin and I are not sure if this is going to be our last. We are taking things one kid at a time. We haven't decided on a name yet. Still working on that.