BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

20080808

Alaska, where the streets are paved with gold...







One subject that I could never stop talking about is Alaska... Here is a little bit of information of me and my past experince with Alaska. ( the picture on left is Mt. McKinley, center is Haines, on right is a giant bird of somekind..)






I was born in Haines, Alaska, a small native town, about 70 miles away from Juneau, the capital. I don't remember much of my hometown, but I did visit it when I lived in Juneau. It was very small, surrounded by trees and bordering the ocean. The Alaska highway went to Haines, but not to Juneau. So when I went there last, I took a ferry over there, it took 3 hours, to just attend a log fest and hang out with friends. The log fest was at a place near Haines, that is famous for having the biggest Bald Eagles population. Gosh I miss seeing them, everywhere. They would build nests way up in these very tall, skinny, pine trees. I would wonder how it would hold the weight of such a large nest!






My earliest memory ever was me in a high chair, looking at our dog Kimo, which was a German Shepard, who was sitting under a small square table. When suddenly the door opened and it was my dad, who had a big package of small glass bottles filled with formula, that he had sat on the table. When he opened the door, the dog looked up, and a brush of cold windy air blew in. It was also night time. I was really young at the time, that is what I was told, under a year old. My parents lived in a cabin before I was born ,and then moved into one of the few houses located in town. When I was born, my dad worked as commercial fisherman and harbor master, then he became the police chief, fireman, paramedic, and civil defense coordinator.( those four jobs, at the same time) Properly because he had a military background, and there wasn't much competition at the time.





My mom and dad both had a pilot's license, they could fly small planes. (Sometime I need to post the pictures of my mom flying my grandma up to see us.) When I was two, we lived on a sailboat. I have only seen one picture of me on it. I know, your thinking, none of this can be true. But it is! When you look at my parent's now, you can't imagine what they have been through, so many more adventures than I have been on. After my parent's lived in Haines, they moved to Denali National Park, where my mom and dad worked in the hotel there. Denali National Park is where Mt. McKinley is, the tallest peak in America. When I was 4 and 5, we moved to Glendale, California. I miss Alaska, I lived in Fairbanks, where the northern lights are rainbow colored and then down in Juneau, where the lights are green.






I hope it's not the end of my Alaska adventures, after I moved from there the last time. When I was forced to move my junior year of high school, I spoke about Alaska all of the time. My friend Shannon was so, so, so sick of it! Whenever someone would ask about it, I would begin to talk, and she would say, "Alaska, where the streets are paved with gold...don't get her started!" Nice friend huh? But I guess it's true to me. (I did pan for gold but just found shavings.) Someday I am going to get back there to stay! But they don't have many Wal-mart's up there. Maybe someday...

2 comments:

dubby said...

Cathryn is in Alaska and says she doesn't want to come back to the lower 48. I can't believe you lived on a boat! That's incredible.

Shawna said...

You tell such fun stories. You know they talk about Denali in the Twilight books! You have to read them! Ha!