BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

20081028

The History of the old Hale Farm House

There are too many scary stories to share, that came about because of visiting or living in the old Hale farm house, in Waterford, Ohio. The farm is no longer in our family, it had been in for generations, and had hundreds of acres of land, which was divided by a killer road.

The farm had been first owned by my Great-grand parents, then for a brief time owned by another family, the Pottmeyers. After that , my grand parent's owned it, then my Uncle roy and then my dad. It was quite old, it withstood the Civil War days, it still had a building out back, that used to be the kitchen. It had a full sized basement, two floors, and a full sized attic. Which I wasn't sure what I was scared of most, the attic or the basement.... Across the street, there was a huge, double story barn, a large equipment shed, and a large modern shop.

The stories consisted of my great grand parents, they were very strange, silent people. My grandma said she was afraid of her in-laws. They didn't have electricity, which she was used to, for her parent's were a upper class family. My grandma Genevieve, told us about how they made her sleep in a seprete room than her husband, after they had been married for years, when ever they came to visit. She also told us that my Great-grandpa Fred Hale, who used to sit on the front porch naked, had lived to be in his ninties. He one day, had laid down on a bench in the dining area (she pointed to where), and died. Very strange huh? So it was no doubt then, that someone had died there. Reason enough to be haunted right?

Another death that I know of, was a farm hand boy, that worked for my grandpa. He took my grandpa's four wheeler one day without asking, down the gravel road, and crashed into a tree. His parents were awfully upset about it, mainly that he had wrecked my grandpa's ATV. When we were there for a visit in 1994, before we moved there, the family had just returned the four wheeler, all fixed and looking like new. All of us were warned to not to mess around on it. My grandpa then died of cancer, that fall, at home. Shortly after, we moved there, into that house. While my grandma lived down the road, in another house, less than a mile away.

Jason and I had been married for more than a year at this point, and had Erick, it was not fun moving into my parent's house again. Later in the spring they built a brand new addition, a huge bedroom for themselves, and a luxurious bathroom. We moved over to a new trailer, far across the street, on the other side of the shop, next to the fields, and woods. (also the cow graveyard)
So now that you know a bit of our history, in the next blog I will share with you how it was, living there.