BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

20081013

The Haunts of Douglas Island...


I remember this well, how scared I was, and how stupid, foolish girl I had been, when I was a teenager. I am not sure of when this happened, just that it was during my Sophomore year, at Juneau Douglas High School. I had worked at McDonald's at the time. My boss, Mrs. Tran, was a superstitious woman. Her son, Hal, who was my friend, sort of, had told me of a place that was said to be the haunting ruins of a burnt down mental hospital located on the hillside of Douglas Island. When he asked her about it, because she had lived in the area for a long time, she freaked out, and yelled at me, warning me to never go there! I thought it was funny, she was a very dramatic person when she spoke, and that made me want to go and check it out. Hal was going, but she forbid him, and I lied to her, saying I would stay away. But as soon as I could, I talked my friends, Tara, Scott, and Mohan into going with me.
(Eric C., Steph, or Shawn, do you remember this?)
I am not embellishing any part of this story, this is how it went down. In Juneau, there is a island that blocks the city from the wide ocean. The island is inhabited, it has a ski resort, some huge fancy houses on the hillside, and a thick lush forest. It also has a beach, which was a popular hangout, called Sandy Beach. Well anyways, on the South side of the island, there is a road that goes to the beach and it goes just a little further and ends right into the forest. Somewhere, in that forest, if we follow the trail off of the end of the road, we would end up finding the old ruins. Neither of us, have explored this trail before, I was simply going on Hal's instructions. How he knew all this, was beyond me, after I tell you this story, you might have a clue why.
When we got out, doing all of this on a school night, we brought only two flashlights among us. (very smart!!!) We started walking in the dark forest and right away, on the left of us, down the hill, we saw dozens of twinkling lights through the trees. We discussed it, we figured we would check it out on the way back, besides it was properly a house anyways, I thought. As we were walking, Scott tried to scare us, on the right of us. Scott would take off into the trees and pop out every so often and we would freak out. As we were walking, we noticed a brick wall on the left, with a whole bunch of graffiti on it, how strange! We agreed, this was weird, so we walked around it, to see if this was part of the ruins, but it wasn't, it just was a free standing brick wall in the middle of nowhere! On the other side of it, was a small narrow trial, leading down the hill, and along the trail we just walked on. Very spooky! But we continued on. We walked and walked, in the pitch dark blackness. Tara was cool with it, she was the only one really afraid though. Mohan led the way, then I second, with Tara sometimes holding on to my arm. Scott kept on goofing off! Then we suddenly found it!
There it was! It wasn't very large, maybe it was a three story building, and where I stood, I could see the large fireplace in the middle of the bottom floor. I didn't go in it, and it had defiantly been in a fire of some sort. The guys explored it a little and then we were bored. What now? The trail still went on past it, and we walked, shortly after we heard the sound of water, and discovered, the trail coming to a end at a cliff. The flashlight didn't work that well, we figured somewhere near by, there were water falls. That was cool. And we finally turned around, to walk towards home. To be continued!

1 comments:

dubby said...

You DO know that the closed down mental hospital not far from where you live is supposed to be haunted. The buildings to the right as you go down the street to the museum?