BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

20081201

Why Yes Vivienne, There Is A Santa Claus!


*CAUTION MAJOR SPOILER ALERT! KEEP KIDS AWAY!*

To tell or not to tell, that is the question. Should I tell Vivienne the truth about Santa? I wanted to but Jason didn't. I was going to tell her anyways and asked her some questions about it, and she responded with some innocent answers. She really believes in him , and I didn't want to crush that Christmas spirit gleam in her face. Though last year we told Clark the truth. He accepted it and has been really understanding. This year I told Vivienne the truth about the Tooth Fairy because trying to lie about it was just getting ridiculous! So I didn't tell her and her belief in Santa will continue for another year.

I know some of you have never did the Santa thing. The stories they come up in movies make the whole thing even bigger in some kids minds. I for one turned out okay, for as I believed in Santa far into my high school years. Even when I saw the presents my parent's bought and even if I heard them wrap things far into the night as a child. Some how and some way, even when my parent's were going through tough times, I still got just about everything I wanted! So he had to be real, to get the things I wanted even when my parent's were poor.

There is no doubt that I have a big imagination, and on Christmas Eve, I would stare out the window, looking for the Christmas star and Rudolph's shiny red nose. One year when I was in third grade, I could have sworn that I saw it and I told everybody I did. It was properly a plane but I believed. Especially when I have met the real Santa! There is a man (maybe crazy) that lives in a town called the North Pole in Alaska, who claims to be Santa Claus. I believed because I went there, and I saw his house, his workshop, and his reindeer. There was no Rudolph. So am I warped because I believed? My mom told me if I didn't Santa would not come.

I think it's not healthy to lie to your kids, but do we tell them everything? I am certain that all of can say we have lied to them for a good reason, at one time or another. Believing in Santa makes Christmas more special. Of course we know what the true meaning of Christmas is. I think I already explained in my last post, Christmas has become more than just our Savior's birthday. It has become a time where we should act more Christlike in honor of our Savior. The image of Santa carries that love on. Especially in time where people do not believe in our Savior at all, little do they know that Santa himself is helping people get into Christ like activity. BUT of course it's important to not let Santa over shadow our Savior, or worship him as if he was the Savior. Some people get confused, there is always going to be people that go overboard, commercialize Christmas, and take advantage of people during this time.

Believing that there is someone good in this world who cares about little children is a positive role model for our kids. Why would I want to take that away? Why is it any different than having other fictional characters as role models? Kids aren't stupid, they may wish to grow up like Santa, wouldn't that be better that Miley Cyrus? I enjoy playing Santa to my kids every year, it makes me happy. And temperorarily takes us away from reality of our troubles. I am sure someone can agree? It would be sad without Santa. What do you think?

2 comments:

Shawna said...

Of course my kids believe in Santa, they are still little. I am not sure when the right age to tell them is. I guess when they kind of can figure out what is going on. I know my sister-in-law always felt bad about lying to her kids and thought it would make them mad at her for lying to them. They turned out just fine, so I don't think it scars our kids. It's fun to have Santa as long as we can also get the kids to remember it is also the time to celebrate Christ's birth, like you said.

Anonymous said...

I think of Santa as the spirit of giving... so YES! There really is a Santa. I know my 11... almost 12 year old is starting to catch on... and maybe already has. But, I don't feel like I need to tell him. I figured it out on my own, and so can he! :) My SIL always used to ask her kids, "Do you think we could afford stuff like that?" and she told them if they didn't believe, they were risking only getting what she could afford. ;) Thanks for making me think again!!
Candice