BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

20081214

Do I Really Wish I Could Read Minds?

If I could read minds, would I like what was being said in them? When we all watched Twilight, I think everyone could agree that the scene in the cafe about mind reading was strange. I didn't expect it, and I guess it added a little extra humor when Edward mentioned the guy thinking about cats. In Sabrina's case, that would properly be true. But would I want Edward's gift? Yes and no!

I was not going to write about my experience creating the Christmas dinner. It is over with, and though some see it as a success, I see room to improve. Most people know it's not easy being a person with authority. Mine was not much, but my goal as the church's new activity coordinator was to impress the congregation so that they would accept me, and come to future events. I really wanted to make it special too. I wanted to share the Christmas spirit all around. As if you seen my blog early on, I have been in the Christmas spirit for some time. But again, I can't read minds, and it was obvious that some people were not sharing in the experience through out the week preparing and through the event it's self.

I went through a week of heck about meat! What a stupid thing to stress over, and when all the griping was done, and I had to make a executive decision over it, I ended up with too much of it. I felt because I had to make that decision, I thought the person I was dealing with was mad at me. If I could of read her mind, I would have slept better on Friday night and would have known that she would have came to help me after she said she wouldn't. It worked out. I was thrilled. The decorations turned out just the way I planned. It was beautiful. I wanted people to be in awe. It made me so happy and thrilled that all my planning turned out nicely and that people would be happy. All I had to do then was to sit back and enjoy the moment. BUT that moment was soured by a few minor things and people. I tried to turn the other cheek and think to myself, what was going on in their mind. I should have known that no matter what, things were going to get knocked over, people were going to complain about not finding a seat (which were many and I can't help that our church is so small and I used all the tables I had), and that people were going to be so indecisive about performing or not. I had people mad at me for their inability to bring their Nativities on time. I had people mad at me because I asked them to perform before people began to go home. I had people mad at me because I bought ham instead of turkey, the list goes on. All this complaining made me for one moment rethink about doing this dinner again next year.

I am still upset about it, and I prayed not to be. It made me feel better today that more people than complainers actually thought the dinner went so well. It made me feel good, and I had so much praise, it was almost getting annoying. Maybe if I could have read their minds, I would have not let the problems get the best of me. And maybe I could have avoided some unpleasantness. Perhaps I wish people could read my mind and they would know that I was trying really hard to please everyone and my heart was in the right place.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennie, I have to say YET AGAIN, that you are amazing! :) You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can please some of the people all of the time! :) You did what you knew was best, and that's all you can do. :) Hugs!
Candice

Shawna said...

It was a great dinner! I hope you know that your hard work was appreciated.

dubby said...

I can read David's mind like a book, but that is because there are so few things he thinks about: ham radio, food, and one other thing... Now what is it? Orange juice? Accounting? Something like that!

I think for the most part the dinner and entertainment went well. Next year I would make sure ALL the kids ate first, then send them off to another room where there is an adult watching them and they can have their own party. You can clean off their places and make room for the other adults to eat. The sad fact is, there were really too many people for the building to hold! Guess we need Christmas in June so we can do it outside! lol

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

I thought the dinner went superbly. The decorations were awesome, the food was great, I was overjoyed at having ham for a change (I love ham, it's probably my favorite meat!), plenty of other food too, especially since I was at the end of the line... and I've never been to a dinner at Staunton Branch where I didn't sit at a place recently vacated by someone else... there just aren't enough chairs and tables for the amount of people we have. I had to go back to work after eating (I worked at the office until 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning finishing my grading so I wouldn't have to go back in Sunday afternoon.), but from what I saw of the dinner, I think you did magnificently.

For several years, I did the dinner at the Harrisonburg ward. You go into the project realizing full well that some people are going to complain because they want to complain. Others are going to complain even though they don't believe they are complaining. Yet others will offer suggestions to be helpful, but they come across as complaining too. Still others won't say anything at all. But there are always a couple who say "thanks" and pay compliments. I often try to be one of those, but honestly, I often get too busy to take the time. I apologize for not saying it this time. So let me be late: Thanks for all you did... I liked it and thought it was one of the best ones I've been to in years.