BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

20090425

The Great Boyfriend Debate

I have been told more than once to look out for my girls because they are cute and boys are going to be a issue when they are older. Well that time has come, already.

I can't lock her up, I can't dress her like a Amish girl, (though she would still look cute) and I can't let Jason threaten every boy that is a friend, that he is going to body slam him, like he did to her first boyfriend. Yes, that is true. It was no wonder that poor six grader boy Ryan #1, dumped her at Christmas time. I thought it was kind of sweet but he called Sabrina every day and rode his bike to her cheerleading practices to watch her. But she is only in sixth grade! I didn't have a boyfriend that serious about me in sixth grade! What is going to happen when she is older? Now I am kind of getting worried.

As for Ryan, he was history during Christmas break, and on the first day back, she got a new one. I had to check out this kid, did he look like a skater dude like Ryan? Nope, in fact, he was a cute little shorter than her kid, that looked like Jonathon Lipnicki. I thought, okay, no threat there. And after a week, she said he was boring. On the same day, Ian, her friend asked her out, she said yes, and she broke up with him in a hour, to go out with Woody. I kind of feel bad for Ian, he has liked her all along, not a bad kid, but Woody?

Yes, I met him, when Sabrina started making arrangements to meet him on the sledding hill. He called just about every day, and I had to get after him. He is popular, cute with black long hair, but the kind of boy I do not approve of. He told Sabrina he wanted our parents to meet and go out to dinner together sometime. He wanted to come over and visit, since his mom let's him ride his skateboard downtown. He told Sabrina he would not sit with her at lunch unless a certain girl was removed, and so Sabrina told her friend to move. I thought that was awfully shallow. I thought great, he is already telling her what to do and she is complying.

Woody was history last week, when Sabrina fell for a 8th grader, Ryan #2 (it's sounds bad) But I am relieved because is a really nice kid. He was the star of the play, and he looks like Erick. I met his mom, and he said she is the first girlfriend he ever had. She has no classes with him, and can't eat lunch with him, so basically, now the play is over, they see each other in passing in the hallway. (That works for me!)

It may seem weird that I might know just a little too much about her love life, because I rather know than not know. Growing up, my mom NEVER talked to me about boyfriends. She knew I had them, but never questioned it. I really could have used some advice. So, I am doing what I can to make sure she has support and so she is open with me. I want her to have high expectations, be treated like a princess, and never give in to a boy's demands. At this stage, having a boyfriend is more for reputation status. It's all about bragging rights. Thank goodness! But I know, that it will eventually change, and she will really fall in love, which is kind of scary. Right now, my message to her is...telling her that you can be friends with boys without being a couple. But does she get that? Hmmm, we shall see how long Ryan #2 lasts.

3 comments:

Candice said...

I'm so not looking forward to those days! :) I think you are doing a great job! My mom was always encouraging when I had boyfriends, gave advice and kept the lines of communication open. I think that's the best thing you can do. Make sure it doesn't become a taboo subject... oh, and don't let Jason sit in the living room with his gun. LOL! My dad did that once!

Lagos Family said...

This is a very tricky subject! I thank goodness wasnt into boys much till after high school, I was SOME in high school, I just liked ot flirt, nothing serious, haha I gave my mom a few heart attacks Im sure... BUT... dont be lenient with her, she needs boundries, and if she crosses them, follow through with punishment, dont just threathen, follow through, you have a lot to preserve Jennie... innocence is being ripped away from kids at a much younger age these days... love her and allow her to experience life, but rules and expectations are needed to keep a child in line and on a good path.Plus you know praying specifically for her and asking for direction to offer her always helps! Good luck to you!

SumGreater said...

I started dating pretty early...age 12. Mostly, it was pretty innocent, but some boys had other things in mind. My mom tried to be supportive and nice so I would talk to her, but I think it mostly backfired. She controlled so much of my ability to be with my boyfriends and let me go out sometimes when I think I should've not been allowed. Making sure a kid is in a group isn't that useful either, because kids don't have normal social boundaries and will do all kinds of things in front of their friends. It would've saved me some tough choices and situations if my parents had been stricter. I really wasn't mature enough to make the right decision sometimes. And at one boy's house, we had zero supervision because his parents weren't strict at all. I think if I were a really rebellious kid, her tactic would've been better. But I wasn't. I might have cried and whined, but I rarely would have disobeyed. I guess it comes back to prayer--you know your kid and so does God. Good luck.