BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

20090820

I'm Fine...

That seems to be the answer that every one gives when asked, How are you? Why it is that people feel compelled to ask that always as part of a greeting? And then of course it's either, I'm good, things are going great, I'm Fine, or if your unlucky, it opens a whole can of worms of how things really are.
Some people lie, and just say they are fine but they aren't. I on the other had have resorted to saying, I am just Dandy! Well I know I have made some people the victim, when I decided to vent and unload on them. I am sorry! But it happens every once in a while and so I try to be more understanding when people do the same to me. I just thought this was a interesting observation, people need to start being a little less generic, and start being real. Then maybe when that one friendly face says hi, you won't end up scaring them with T.M.I.

2 comments:

Shawna said...

Have I been giving you TMI? lol! You aren't supposed to tell me if I am - ha! I hope not and I really do mean it when I ask you how you are - most of the time - just kidding. You know you can always vent to me - that's what friends are for!

dubby said...

In cultures all over the world, a standard greeting is "How are you?" or the equivalent. In all of the cultures, the greeting back is something like "Fine, and you?" and the first person is supposed to say "fine" as well, with minor variations. It really has nothing to do with how you are doing any more than football players patting each other on the butt when they walk by means anything. Or "It's good to see you" - which isn't often true. If you want to start a conversation, that's okay, but men especially don't really think of the words as meaning anything other than an acknowledgment that you exist.